MINNESOTA RANKS HIGH, BUT WITH A LOW PERCENTAGE
The Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) is a U.S. Department of Agriculture program administered by the Minnesota Department of Education (MDE). The program reimburses food providers who serve healthy meals to children and teens in low-income areas in the summer.
Minnesota ranks 16th among 50 states in feeding children in the summer, with only 20 percent of school-age kids participating in the SFSP.
Good nutrition can be especially hard during the summer months for children who have relied on schools for meals. Food access can suddenly become a challenge.
Partnering with the MDE, we created the Free Meals for Kids mobile app that connects children and teens up to 18 years old with sites serving free summer meals.
The app is powered by GPS and shows locations of schools and other sites that provide meals and meal packs, including days and hours for distribution. It also shows the distance and directions to the nearest site from your location.
Provide 2 million more meals.
Participating sites can help us keep information fresh
Review your information, including sites, meals, dates and delivery details. Send changes to: email@example.com
If you want to be listed on the app, or want to add locations to the app, e-mail us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please provide the information below or attach a flyer or website link to expedite the process. We encourage you to make sure the MDE database is also current.
1. Site name
2. Street address/city/zip code
- Registration/Enrollment: Select 1, 2 or 3 below
1. Open Enrollment—”Open to all 18 and under”
2. Closed Enrollment—”Registration required”
3. Restricted Open Sites—”First come, first served”
- Meals Served:
- Open Date: (XX/XX/2022 to XX/XX/2022)
- Closed Dates:
- Site Contact: (Email or phone number)
- Days of Operations: (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.)
- Type of meals and time they are served: (Breakfast 8-9am-M,T,W,Th,F. Lunch noon-1 M-W)
Note: There is also a section on the app that can include special instructions such as: Come to door C or Serving times vary by 15 minutes.Include the following and adding a flyer or website link can speed the process.